Vinyl cladding, also called vinyl siding, refers to plastic exterior cladding for homes and commercial buildings. The siding is used as an alternative to traditional wood, fiber cement, and aluminum siding. The cladding is made up of about 80% polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resin and the remaining 20%, ingredients to give the material its color, gloss, opacity, flexibility, durability, and impact resistance. Vinyl cladding has been in the market since the late 50s and it is today one of the most popular exterior claddings in the U.S. and Canada. There are several reasons why you should consider installing vinyl siding.
This is one of the most affordable sidings in the market. You will spend between 25% and 50% less than what you would have spent on aluminum and wood siding. Most vinyl cladding manufacturers offer competitive warranties.
Many people neglect their homes’ exteriors, but waterproofing the exterior is important because it improves the longevity of your walls and it saves you money on repairs. A strong wall is also important for your security.
Vinyl cladding comes in different colors, styles, and patterns, meaning there is something for everyone. You do not have as much flexibility with other options like brick and stucco.
You can go for years without maintaining, leave alone replacing the cladding. The cladding is very durable. It is not damaged by termites (the major problem with wood sidings) and other wood boring pests and insects, there is no fading, and there is no chalking. All you need to do is occasionally clean the siding with a mixture of water and a mild detergent.
Given that pigments are mixed with the resins, the colors are deep and penetrating. Unlike the case with aluminum and wood sidings which are painted on, blemishes and scratches are not visible with vinyl siding. The fact that no painting is necessary means you get to save money.
Another advantage of vinyl cladding is that it is environmentally friendly given that it is recyclable. Wood sidings lead to the destruction of forests while extraction of aluminum from its ore is energy intensive and it leads to the emission of greenhouse gases. The insulation you get from the siding means greater thermal performance of your house and consequently reduced energy expenditure.
You could go for a vinyl cladding brand that features perforations for the moisture to escape. This is important because you will prevent mold, mildew, and condensation. Installing vinyl siding is also a good idea because it increases the resale value of your home.